- Collagen is responsible for maintaining the skin’s elasticity which reduces with age, leading to sagging or loose looking skin.
- Massage helps improve blood flow and stimulates cell growth.
- Over-the-counter products are available that contain ingredients that help in correcting loose skin.
- Many cosmetic procedures can be opted for to tighten skin.
Sagging or loose skin feels and looks ugly, affecting one’s self-confidence tremendously. Lots of factors may be responsible for loose skin such as sudden or rapid weight loss, pregnancy, or just the natural process of aging. The skin starts to lose out on collagen which is a protein that helps keep the skin elastic and firm. While it is hard to predict exactly when your skin might start showing signs of sagging, it generally starts occurring between the ages of 35 to 40 years for most people.
However, dermatologists have recommended many simple yet effective ways to tighten one’s skin that do not require a lot of effort. With regular use, these methods can give you youthful-looking skin free of wrinkles, discoloration, or sagginess.
4 Easy Ways to Tighten Loose Skin
The good ol’ massage is an amazing way to relax not just one’s body and mind but also bring out the youthful-looking skin. Massage helps to improve blood flow and trigger fibroblasts which are cells responsible for producing collagen. In fact, studies point toward a direct correlation between massage and the production of mitochondria which plays an important role in building up tissue and cellular metabolism.
Creams and Lotions
There are many skin firming products available in the market in the form of creams, lotions, serum-oils, etc. which could prove helpful too. A number of collagen-based creams that can be bought over the counter.
Another necessary element to keep the skin from sagging is Vitamin C. Vitamin C deficiency can accelerate aging which can be corrected by buying creams that contain the same. Look out for products that contain hyaluronic acid which helps keep the skin hydrated and plump. They help in maintaining a wrinkle-free skin devoid of any fine lines. The products should also include retinoids which are antioxidants that again boost the production of collagen.
Exercising regularly is an excellent way to keep that sagging looking loose skin at bay. Weight training exercises can prove to be especially useful in decreasing the appearance of loose skin. Loose skin resulting from pregnancy needs special attention and should be checked with the doctor as certain exercises may need to be avoided. Facial exercises or face yoga is another way to keep the skin from becoming loose.
There are a number of cosmetic procedures available that you can take advantage of. Some of them are listed below:
- Laser: This is the most common procedure that is preferred by millions of people worldwide. The process involves the use of a laser to peel off the top layer of the skin and stimulate collagen production in the deeper skin layers.
- Ultrasound: Helps tighten areas under the chin, neck as well as the face.
- Radiofrequency: Protein production is enhanced in the deeper layers of the skin through a special heating technique, causing it to tighten.
- Microneedling: This process boosts collagen production by treating the skin with tiny needles.
- Botox: A popular injectable medication, it helps the skin appear smooth and less wrinkled.
- Facelift: A surgical procedure wherein excess skin is removed by pulling back the face for tautness.